OPEN TTD title misaligned
Original sprites from Transport Tycoon have a fixed distance between them of 8 pixels. In opengfx the distance varies a lot (8 - 12).
I suspect we have to stick to the length of original font sprites (Please don't talk about copyright issues).
(I started drawing for the 32bpp title sprites when I noticed this. Now I have to readjust my work-Pretty wasted time. :-( )
#2 Updated by Ammler almost 11 years ago
LordAzamath is right now working on a alternative for the title font: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=808592#p808592
(Why do you classify it as priority "high"?)
#9 Updated by athanasios almost 11 years ago
It is evident we are restricted from the width of the original fonts, unless we change code and/or use extra grf, which is not supposed to happen with opengfx. I suspect, and I hope I am not wrong, that the height won't mess anything. Actually current opengfx sprites are very thin and unsuitable for a game title. Even worse when you play the game on a higher resolution.
Even though I prefer the original style, I like Lord's 'bevel' approach too. I already tried to bevel the black fonts but 016 black couldn't have a darker black and didn't look OK. So I was also considering Lord's approach too.
According to what I already stated here are my suggestions:
- Thicker letters (maybe there we can play with horizontal lines too).
- Thicker shadows (2 or 3 pixels like originals).
- Taller letters? (unless it messes anything or developers don't like it.)-32bpp will definitely have bigger sprites(see below).
- Also we should not forget to inner 'anti-alias' the font (see original ones).
Now regarding 32bpp:
- We need to do proper anti-aliasing with transparency (I did this by hand, pixel pixel, for my 32bpp sprites as filters don't give good results-unless you have a good filter to suggest ;-) ).
- Probably make a much bigger but transparent drop shadow.
- Please, LordAzamath if you are bored to do 32bpp, provide the sprites prior to the 'anti-aliasing' of font with its shadow.
#14 Updated by athanasios almost 11 years ago
- File Title_Screen.png added
Provided developers wish to add a hand = change a byte ;-) , we could refresh the Intro Page. TT used a different hue from TTD, so why should OTTD stick with TTD one?
Following the feedback, I applied the good old recipe of stripes on LordAzamath's fonts that also reminds classic transportation companies liveries.
It would look even better if letters were bigger, but let us not go too long.
#18 Updated by athanasios almost 11 years ago
As Lordzamath already said in tt-forums the new fonts do not fix the problem.
Please inform us LordAzamath, if:
1. You are going to adjust the width of the sprites (same width with TTD ones), so the issue can be temporary solved without need of new code (in X case we didn't wait for new code).
2. You are going to do a bit of 'anti-aliasing' (like TTD ones).
3. You are going to work on 32bpp ones.
If you don't intend to work any further on this, I wish to continue.
#19 Updated by LordAzamath almost 11 years ago
I'm not going to adjust the letters much, as the original letters were FAT. These are not drawn sprites, but from Liberation Mono Bold, size 47 if I recall correctly (can check it if needed), so I'm not going to draw the shapes of letters. eg. 1. no
2. no - the jagged edge is intended I think as it fits with the rest of GUI.
3. no - 32bpp can do whatever it wants
(4.) I do intend working on it - O has double highlight at top-right corner which needs to be fixed.