Steam train research
The steam trains currently are a bit underrepresented in both the set and the infosheet. Therefore I would like to ask for help finding information about the Dutch steam trains in order to get a nice selection of steamers to go into the set as well as an infosheet that is as complete as possible.So, what can you do if you want to help:
- Look at the infosheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anuwxjk8DGu8dFZ2NlVocDh1TnVGaER6UWp4NzJ2enc
- Search for missing properties: for each row that has a train name up front, we need all the cells from "introduced" to "tender weight" filled in order to code the vehicle correctly.
- The "terminated" column indicates the year in which the train was last used in commercial service. If you find multiple values for power, speed, TE, then pick the highest one.
- Some trains have had multiple liveries. If that is the case, we need for each livery when it was first seen in commercial service.
- If the information for instance only specifies "livery introduced at the beginning of the 30s", then make a guesstimate and add a question mark to the year you chose. Then we know it's not entirely accurate, but then we can use it until something better pops up.
- We need some more steamers.
- You can figure out what series are interesting to add to the set. Series with a high engine count are always good.
- Small series are particularly nice if there is a large gap in the introduction of new engines.
- And of course find the same properties for this to-be-drawn engine.
If you're interested in helping out, post small changes here, or send me a PM for editing rights of the infosheet (I need the email address of your Google account).
All small bits help! No need to find everything that is missing in one go!
#2 Updated by Mahoo76 over 7 years ago
- File Dutch_Trainset_Infosheet_v1.00.xlsx added
- Due date set to 2012-03-17
- % Done changed from 0 to 40
Because there already were some red backgrounds, I've used green.
- Termination date
- Trac. effort
- Tender weight
De Nederlandse Stoomlocomotieven by Waldorp, Statius Muller & Veenendaal (c)2005
#6 Updated by oberhuemer over 7 years ago
This is a formula that has usually worked well for CETS (notable exception: it'll go haywire on compound engines). It returns metric horsepower (correlates with the real value, actually).
Boiler pressure is measured in bar (equals 100 kPa) and all other units in mm. Just average or guess whatever doesn't make sense.
#7 Updated by Mahoo76 over 7 years ago
- File Dutch_Trainset_Infosheet_v1.01.xls added
- Boiler pressure
- Cylinder stroke
- Cylinder diameter
Added value PI in cell A1 for calculations
Added formula in HP-cells
In some cases the calculated value is very different from earlier added values!!
I guess this is the compound effect (I have NOT checked wether locs are compound locs)
Could Oberhümer please check if I translated his formula correct to Excel?
#8 Updated by oberhuemer over 7 years ago
If there are official values, please use those instead. Four-cylinder engines are always compounds, I believe.
The only value that looks very suspicious to me is the one for the 5000-II - I know nothing about it, only comparing it to other engines of the time.
#10 Updated by foobar over 7 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
Usign Oberhümers formula, I've calculate hp's.
I finally merged this with the infosheet, which was a bit of a pain. Thanks for the effort, this really helps!
Next time if you want/need to change anything, please send me the email address of you google account (via PM), so that I can give you direct edit rights. This merging is really annoying So I guess it's easier for both of us if you work directly in the main infosheet!
#12 Updated by foobar almost 7 years ago
- Status changed from New to Closed
- Target version changed from 2.0.0-beta1 to 2.0.0-alpha7
- % Done changed from 80 to 100
We now have a selection of 25 steam trains without gaps. This is a decent selection for the set, although it can always be improved/expanded later. For version 2.0 this should however be sufficient, additional steam trains can come in the form of a request in a new issue.